Partners for Innovation has carried out a field study for SNV, in order to assess the market opportunities for the application of biogas in Mozambique. The research focused specifically on sanitation and the agri-food sector.
Reasonably strong potential
The main findings are:
The technical potential of applying biogas in Mozambique is reasonable to good in all sectors, except for small households. We see the biggest potential in:
- agri-food companies
- large-scale local or municipal sanitation systems
- sanitation facilities in schools, hospitals and prisons
Not much experience
However, at this moment in Mozambique there is not enough:
- experience with commercial biogas installations. Although there are some donor financed initiatives, only a few of them are operational.
- policy aimed at encouraging biogas application
- knowledge and experience from research institutes and businesses.
And yet the interest for biogas has really taken off. The government, the private sector, donors and knowledge institutes all show an increased attention. If we consider the growing population, urbanisation and the growing agri-food business, we think the potential can only get bigger. The vital fields where opportunities lie are design and construction of installations, services, maintenance and energy supply to industrial companies.
Read all recommendations of the report in the summary-report-mozambique
Contact Emiel Hanekamp email@example.com